- FOUNDED: J.W. Suominen established in 1898
- DOMICILE: Helsinki, Finland
- INDUSTRY: Nonwovens manufacturing company
- OPERATING COUNTRIES: 6
- PERSONNEL: 640
Adding value to daily life
Suominen is a globally leading manufacturer of nonwovens for wiping, hygiene and medical applications. End products, such as wet wipes, diapers and wound dressings made of nonwovens, bring added value to the daily lives of consumers and professional users around the world.
The two business areas of Suominen are Convenience and Care. Convenience offers nonwovens mainly for a range of wiping applications and represent around 93 percent of the total net sales. Care serves medical and hygiene markets, accounting for around 7 percent of the total net sales.
Suominen operates in Europe, North America and South America, and is the world’s largest manufacturer of nonwovens used in wiping products. Demand for nonwovens grows on average 5 percent annually as there are several megatrends that increase demand in the nonwovens market. Among these are increasing and aging population, growing consciousness of health and the rise of middle class as the most important consumer group.
- NET SALES IN 2016: EUR 416.9 million
- MARKET CAP AS OF DEC. 31, 2015: EUR 311.9 million
- IN AHLSTRÖM CAPITAL’S PORTFOLIO SINCE: 2014
- AHLSTRÖM CAPITAL’S OWNERSHIP: 24.0%